In this role you will be helping design the future. Using research as a catalyst you will be evaluating people, their tools (in the form of product and tech), how well their tools are working for them, their goals in using these tools, people’s broader goals and aspirations, their UX interactions, trends in the world and in user groups, mapping the landscape of existing technology, and researching emerging technology all in order to pinpoint future needs and possibilities.
This role is half research, and half translation – a significant part of the work will be thinking about the implications of what we have learned on what is possible. This will include working with designers or other product folks to brainstorm possibilities.
Responsibilities and Necessary Skills
Working with a small research team, leveraging a variety of approaches and resources to conduct research that feeds new innovation design group. Taking insight and translating into output in the form of decks and/or workshop material that will be used in development of new experiences, interactions, use cases, and products. Will also do workshopping/brainstorming with design groups and throughout representing the voice and needs of the user.
• Heavy front-end strategy/category/product development research versus back-end product development research.
• A-Z experience with research – having hands-on, custom research, DIY approach. (Vendors might be used with some projects or recruitment agencies but expect projects where you will be setting the goals of research, creating discussion guides, screeners, survey’s plugging things into tools like Qualtrics or D-Scout, analyzing interviews, maybe some facilitation of interviews, organizing and giving direction for stimulus (as needed) analyzing results (both qual. And quant.) Crafting findings in some kind of document and/or creating some kind of output (ex. moodboards) that are a catalyst for brainstorming.
• Research approach will be a mix and may include: Usability Testing, Category Mapping, features deep diving, Jobs to be done evaluations, competitive benchmarking research, Segmentation, Lifestyle research/deep dives, Trend’s analysis and forecasting etc.
• Comfortable working remote
• Experience working with product makers - from designers to product managers to engineers
• A self-starter, driven, strong relationship builder, passionate about learning and making a difference
• Good analytical approach with experience in using data/content in a qualitative and quantitative format (heavy statistical modeling etc. not required.)
- Practiced/gone through design thinking process as part of development process (from manufacturer/developer/client side – not strictly design agency side.) Conducted research feeding design thinking process. (i.e. research that feeds front end-blue sky product development.)
- Prior experience (5-8 years) working in research involving a mix of methodologies and outcomes; looking for those with “design thinking” research approach – worked on new/innovative projects (open-ended research)
- Looking for candidates w/ holistic research experience; experience in Consumer Insights will stand out (mix of qualitative/qualitative research)