• BS EE or CS required (preferred MS ESS or CS) - with at least 5 years of telecom work experience
• Good knowledge of wireless network architecture concepts especially in RAN domain
• Good knowledge of UNIX/LINUX operating systems
• Good customer support experience
• Knowledgeable on 3G 3GPP2, 4G, or 5G 3GPP technologies, including functional splits for disaggregated RAN models.
• Knowledgeable on XRAN and ORAN models.
4G/5G Tier2 Network Support Engineer
We are looking for a 4G LTE / 5G NR Tier 2 Network Support Engineer to join our Wireless Networks team. You will be a key contributor being technical interface to customer market teams. You will have your finger on the pulse of the entire customer network. You will monitor the network health, make improvement recommendations and repair the network.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide in-depth technical log analysis, check network configuration, and support customer as needed
- Knowledgeable on 3G 3GPP2, 4G, or 5G 3GPP technologies, including functional splits for disaggregated RAN models.
- Knowledgeable on XRAN and ORAN models.
- Be able to work in our system integration lab, customer labs, and commercial networks for reproducing, troubleshooting and investigating poor performance related issues
- Strong on customer support as well as data analysis of logs and pcaps etc
- Must be able to drive for resolutions with other Engineering team on an open ticket
- Provide 24/7 on-call support as needed for commercial Network outages and network performance issues. Also provide technical reviews and provide support to customers as needed
- Experience with wireless network architecture, protocols, RF optimization and standards
- Develop Root Cause Analysis (RCA) on outages or market performance issues (e.g., throughput, accessibility, sustainability, handovers (Intra/X2/S1), capacity and coverage)
- Be able to review various Engineering MOPs and identify missing steps or issues if any
- Be able to proactively perform data audit, SW/FW audit, and health check of the OSS if needed
- Be able to collect logs and perform log analysis for discussions with Tier3 and HQ on various issues
- Resolve high severity issues (sev1 & sev2) to meet the agreed SLA requirements - 2nd level incident analysis
- Provide updates and resolutions on open tickets
- Be able to train provide guidance and support to other team members on new project, processes, etc. as needed
- Familiar with disaggregated RAN functionality and Front haul, mid haul and back haul requirements.
- Familiar with latency aspects for transport networks.
- Familiar with RLC/MAC layer, different types of control channel and traffic channels, network access procedures, power control, handover algorithms, QoS types, TDD/FDD modes, HARQ/ARQ concepts, etc.
- Be able to develop tools and scripts to automate tasks on OSS and eNBs to aide with the investigation as needed
Necessary Skills and attributes:
The ability to plan, organize and prioritize multiple projects, sales and simultaneous performance objectives. Work independently in determining ones personal work schedule to be productive. Work in a team environment, in order to achieve personal and team project milestones and to complete assignments within established time frames. Accept tasks and problems/situations that differ, requiring creativity to search for optimal solutions, when only broad and general guidelines exist for solving problems. The ability to utilize implied knowledge of task alternatives and to make spontaneous decisions using past experience and the guidance and/or successful experiences of others. Demonstrated ability to interact at multiple levels within customers organizations. Negotiate with and convince others, in a potentially adversarial environment, including customer directors, managers and staff with opposing views to accept/approve plans, technical and project recommendations. Make professional technical sales presentations in writing, through email, reports, or orally, to an audience of high technical skills, management and operational experience. Ability to achieve results within established time frames and requirements. Develop accurate proposals and designs to meet customer needs.
Work is generally performed in an office environment. Operate a computer keyboard and view a video display terminal between more than 50% of work time, including prolonged periods of time. Requires considerable work utilizing high visual acuity / detail, numeric / character distinction and moderate hand / finger dexterity. The movement and transportation of equipment, most of the time is under 25 pounds. Performs work under time schedules and stress which are normally periodic or cyclical, including time sensitive deadlines, intellectual challenges and project management deadlines. Machines, tools, equipment, and work aids include PC’s, printers, copiers, faxes and other equipment commonly associated with an office work area. May require working additional hours beyond normal schedule. Travel varies depending on position. Consistently demonstrates a commitment to policies and procedures, including but not limited to, attendance, confidentiality, conflict of interest and ethical responsibilities.
Education, Work experience and necessary Skills & Attributes:
Physical and Mental Demands:
- BS EE or CS required (preferred MS ESS or CS) - with at least 5 years of telecom work experience
- Good knowledge of wireless network architecture concepts especially in RAN domain
- Good knowledge of UNIX/LINUX operating systems
- Good customer support experience
- Good analytical skills to investigate and evaluate trending data for issue resolution
- Ability to develop scripts and tools to aide with the reports generation and analysis will be a plus
- Must be able to work under pressure and willing to work on the ad-hoc schedule and/or on-call environment.
- Work generally is performed in an office and/or lab environment – may need to travel 0 to 10%
- Operate PC and product test equipment more than 75% of work time.